- 1 ¼ tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soymilk
- 2 Tbs. powdered egg replacer
- ⅓ cup canola oil, plus more for brushing waffle iron
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
- 4 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
- Vegan whipped topping for garnish, optional
1. Combine yeast with 1/2 cup warm water in large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes, or until yeast dissolves.
2. Blend soymilk and egg replacer in blender or food processor 1 minute, or until thick and creamy. Whisk soymilk mixture into yeast mixture, then whisk in oil, then vanilla. Whisk in flour, sugar, and salt. Cover, and refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight.
3. Preheat Belgian waffle iron to high heat. Stir baking soda into batter. Brush waffle iron with oil (oil should sizzle). Spoon batter onto each square of waffle iron. Close lid, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until waffle is golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
4. Transfer waffles to plates. Top each serving with berries and 1 tsp. confectioners’ sugar. Garnish with dollop of whipped topping, if using.