- 1 ½ lb. peeled butternut squash, diced (4 cups)
- 4 Tbs. canola oil, divided
- 3 large Jonagold or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into large dice
- 1 cup sliced shallots (4 large)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅔ cup semi-pearled farro
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Toss squash with 2 Tbs. oil in bowl, and season with salt, if desired. Toss apples with 1 Tbs. oil in separate bowl, and season with salt, if desired. Arrange squash in single layer on 1 prepared baking sheet, and apples in single layer on other. Roast squash 32 to 36 minutes, or until tender and browned on bottoms. Roast apples 22 to 24 minutes, or until browned.
2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add shallots, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until shallots are shrunken, stirring occasionally. Add cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes, and season with salt, if desired. Cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add farro and 8 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 25 minutes, or until farro is tender. Stir in squash and apples, and remove from heat. Stir in 1 Tbs. mint and 1/4 tsp. lemon zest. Serve sprinkled with remaining 1 Tbs. mint and 1/4 tsp. lemon zest.